If you want to change your name in Aadhar card, follow these simple steps and you will be able to accomplish your purpose with the investment of a few minutes.
UIDAI has terminated the other two methods of updating the name through SSUP and speed post to the regional office of UIDAI.
The Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) possesses the responsibility of handling all the Aadhaar-related issues and services. This statutory authority facilitates different benefits and services to all the Aadhaar holders. It includes such as downloading e-Aadhaar or making corrections in details registered in Aadhaar and many more.
It is difficult to predict when the need to change/update details in Aadhaar arises such as name.
- 1 Change Name in Aadhar Card – Detailed Guide
- 2 Aadhaar Card Name Change Process
- 3 What are the Documents Required for Change Name in Aadhar Card
- 4 How to Check Aadhar Update Status Online?
Change Name in Aadhar Card – Detailed Guide
Aadhaar card mentions the basic demographic and biometric information of an individual. It can be used as proof of address, Name and date of birth. Therefore, it becomes essential for Aadhaar possessors to keep their demographic and biometric details. It is needed to update for maintaining their eligibility to avail services and benefits associated with Aadhaar.
- Incorrect capturing of demographic details such as name during the Aadhaar enrolment process.
- Changes in life events including marriage especially for women who change name or surname after marriage.
- Change in the local language in which the demographic information is printed on Aadhaar.
- Different names registered in Aadhaar and other supporting documents such as PAN card or Passport.
- Misprinting or spelling mistake in entering name during the Aadhaar Enrolment process.
Aadhaar Card Name Change Process
Earlier in the Aadhaar enrolment rules, UIDAI declared different manners using which Aadhaar holders may change/update their names in respective Aadhar. At the Aadhaar scheme introduction time, three methods of updating names in Aadhaar were declared.
These methods comprise of visiting the enrolment center, via post and self-update through the self-service update portal. But according to recent notifications by UIDAI, Aadhaar holders can change their name in Aadhaar by visiting the Aadhaar enrolment/update center.
Find your Nearest Aadhaar Enrolment Center
- Aadhaar enrolment centers are available in almost all regions and states of India for delivering greater convenience to individuals. If you have no knowledge of your nearest enrolment center, you can find it online through the official UIDAI website.
- Go to https://uidai.gov.in/ and choose to Locate an Enrolment Center from getting Aadhaar.
- Search for the nearest enrolment center by using any of the given modes comprising of Postal Code, Search Box, or State.
- Book your appointment online in your nearest enrolment center.
Fill the Aadhaar correction Form
- The website will assist you in finding the nearest enrolment/update center. Visit the center and fill the correction form given by the executive present there.
- It is necessary to show due diligence while filling the form as you are required to enter all the correct details asking in the form.
- Mention your new or correct name in the Aadhaar correction form and make a review of the overall form so that no mistakes exist for the future.
Submit Necessary Documents
- Providing document proof of name to the executive is necessary for completing the name updation process.
- Give the original document proof along with the filled correction form to the executive and pay a tiny amount of INR 50 taxes included.
- Ensure that you get your original documents back from the executive. The executive will take the original documents for scanning and completing the identity verification process.
- Along with this, the executive will also ask for the biometric information of the applicant for verification.
Take Acknowledgment Slip
- After completion of all these formalities, the executive will provide you an acknowledgment slip mentioning URN (Update Request Number).
- If you want to track the Aadhaar update status, use this URN and you will get the status on your screen.
What are the Documents Required for Change Name in Aadhar Card
Numerous documents are also allowed to use as document proof for the name while the Aadhaar correction process. UIDAI never fails to offer convenience to Aadhaar holders and other individuals. It has provided a complete list as to what documents can be used as a name, address, photo, or date of birth proof for enrolment or update process. You can go through this list by visiting the official website of UIDAI.
- Voter Identification Card
- PAN Card
- Job Card of NREGS
- ATM Card having a photo
- Marriage Certificate
- ECHS Photocard
- A photo identification card issued by PSU
- Driving License
- Ration Card
- Arms License
- Credit card having Photo
- Freedom Fighter Photo Card
- Address Card authenticated by the Department of Post mentioning name and photo
- A handicapped certificate or disability identification
- A photo identification card issued by a recognized institution including college or school
- Certificate of Identity mentioning photo and name authenticated by a Gazetted Officer or Tehsildar
Key points to remember while Updating name in Aadhaar
- Make sure to fill all the demographic details including name carefully in English or local language.
- Avoid the usage of professional titles or courtesy while entering the correct name of the concerned person in Aadhaar.
- Ensure not to skip any required field and fill all the details asked in the correction form.
- Submit proper documents to the executive during the correction process so that no further consequences can arise.
- You need to be patient for getting the entire Aadhaar update process since it consumes about 90 days for the completion.
- Remember to fill all the details in Capital letters in the correction form.
- Recent UIDAI notifications indicate that the Aadhaar holders can make corrections in their name in Aadhaar for twice only.
How to Check Aadhar Update Status Online?
Infusion of any update in Aadhaar takes the turnaround time of about 90 days. UIDAI allows the applicant to check the status of an update as and when required before receiving the physical copy of updated Aadhaar.
- For this purpose, you need to go to the UIDAI website.
- Select the option “Check Aadhaar Update Status” given under the section “Update Your Aadhaar”.
- You will get updated status by entering your enrolment ID comprising of 14-digit enrolment number and 14-digit enrolment date and time mentioned in the acknowledgment slip.
- After download opens your e-Aadhaar by entering a password.
As we can see, UIDAI has made everything related to Aadhaar easier for the holders. You either need to sit at your home and avail services online or visit nearest enrolment center for some services such as updating details in Aadhaar. Everyone has become aware of what Aadhaar serves and for how many privileges you become eligible when holds Aadhaar. Also, UIDAI recommends updating all the demographic and biometric information in Aadhaar for authenticity maintenance.
You can also check:
- Aadhar Card Status by Name, Pin code & Date of Birth
- What is Password For Aadhaar Card PDF File
- How to Search Aadhaar Card by Name and Father Name
- How to Check UIDAI Complaint Status
- How to Generate Aadhar Card Virtual ID
- Aadhar Card Download by Aadhaar Number
- How to Change Mobile Number in Aadhar Card
- Download Aadhar Card Without Mobile Number